Well, apparently today is National Cheese Day! Who knew? So in honor of that, here’s a recipe that turned out great (according to the toughest critics ~ my kids!) Creamy & delicious. Awesome comfort food. And easy, easy, easy.
Inactive prep. time: 12 hours. Active prep. time: 20 minutes. Cost: Less than $10. Serves: 6 – 8.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups of cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 16-ounce package elbow macaroni
- Add heavy cream and buttermilk to a medium-sized bowl, stir, & let sit out overnight (12 hours) at room temperature (roughly 74 degrees). The cream will thicken & be roughly the consistency of yogurt. That’s what you want. (If you aren’t going to use it right away, you can cover the bowl with plastic wrap & put it in the refrigerator for use later.)
- Coat Crock-Pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add cream/buttermilk combination you just made overnight to the Crock-Pot.
- Add salt & black pepper to the Crock-Pot & stir.
- Add cheese to Crock-Pot and stir.
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions, drain, then add to the Crock-Pot and stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours or until cheese is melted.
Please keep in mind that cooking times may vary so the first time you make a recipe, keep an eye on the Crock-Pot. You may need to adjust the amount of cooking time.
FYI ~ I made Buttermilk Biscuits to go along with the Mac & Cheese using this fabulous recipe.