So I’ve loved horses since I was a kid. I rode as often as I could when I was younger and owned a Quarter Horse for a little while before we moved to the city. When I started my Life List, I realized how much I missed it. This past May, after about a decade away from horses, I found a barn near my house & a lovely lady who gave me a few lessons because it’d been so long. Much to my surprise and delight, riding a horse is like riding a bike. It pretty much came right back. I’ve been riding regularly ever since.
Five reasons you should go ride a horse:
- According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, riding horses has been shown to ease symptoms of anxiety, depression, stress, and the like.
- Horses are herd animals. Because of that, they are incredibly intuitive and empathetic about the animals around them. That includes the humans around them. They read and react to your body language & emotions. Horses can act as a mirror to you and show you how you are in the world.
- According to neurological studies, people’s brainwave patterns change when they are near horses. People calm down. They are better able to center themselves and focus.
- Working with horses will help you overcome fear (if you’re afraid of large animals) & increase your self-confidence. You’ll learn patience, too. Those skills will help you in many areas of your life.
- If you ride the same horse repeatedly, you’ll develop a connection to that animal that includes building trust and creating a friendship. Like any relationship, you’ll learn things about the horse’s personality & you’ll learn things about your own, too.
Have you started your Life List yet?