“WORRY: a. to assail with rough or aggressive attack or treatment: torment; b. to subject to persistent or nagging attention or effort; c. to afflict with mental distress or agitation: make anxious, strangle, choke; d. to move, proceed, or progress by unceasing or difficult effort: struggle.” ~Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Well, I’m a big believer in people (myself included) doing things because it serves them in some way. Good things, sure, & it’s easy to figure out why those things are in your life. Bad things too, though. And sometimes that’s a little harder to pinpoint as to why you’re doing it. Worry is one of those bad things.
Here’s an exercise:
- Think about a single thing you might be worrying about.
- Now ask yourself: How does worrying about that serve me?
Maybe the answer is you worry because:
- it scares you to let go.
- it distracts from the now and maybe there’s something you feel you need distracting from.
- you think you can control the outcome by constantly mulling it over in your mind.
- you somehow think you’re helping someone/something by worrying about them/it (hint: you are not).
- it’s become a habit and is now part of your comfort zone.
But here’s the truth:
- changes nothing. Whatever’s gonna happen is still going to happen.
- takes up time and energy you could be using for something else.
- disrupts your body (ever lost sleep worrying? or ate too much/stopped eating from worrying? or worried yourself until you ended up nauseated? Google stress hormones & bad side effects because worrying jacks up the stress, too).
- annoys your friends (who, of course, love you but still have to listen to you go on & on about a figment of your imagination).
- and probably the worst thing worry does ~ steals your joy and your peace because you’re not in the present moment; you’re off somewhere in the future imagining bad things that haven’t come to pass (but might simply because you’re fixating on them so much).
You can’t get that time back
Look, all the time you are spending crazed with worry is all the time you can never get back, never use for something productive, never use to hang out with your family/friends in a happy way, never use to relax. Don’t waste anymore of your life because not one single moment of worry (no, not even one) will ever change anything in your life for the good.
The world’s a rough enough place
Look, there are enough people in the world willing to attack and beat you up mentally. Why do it to yourself? The next time you find yourself worrying, instead tell yourself: I’m going to deal with whatever comes up WHEN AND ONLY WHEN it comes up. Then (& yes, this may be the hard part) let it go. That way you can take your life & your peace back.
So what are you worried about? And how does it serve you to keep worrying about it?