To help you overcome bulimia or any eating disorder, I want to tell you about me. I started dieting by age 10 and by the time I was 13 years old, I ended up with bulimia, which is an eating disorder where you binge eat large quantities of food then purge by either self-induced vomiting, excessive exercising, and/or misusing laxatives or diuretics. I also ended up with binge eating disorder, which is when you eat extremely large quantities of food in a short amount of time.
Just so you know, studies have shown that dieting is a major factor in the development of eating disorders. In particular, bulimia can wreak havoc with the digestive system, including heart and other organ damage from electrolyte and chemical imbalances. According to my family doctor, chemical imbalances can lead to cardiac arrest and electrolyte imbalances can also cause sudden death.
Anyway, I tell you all that to tell you this: it’s absolutely possible to overcome an eating disorder and thrive. I’ve done it. I’ve been free from all eating disorders, including bulimia, for over a decade. You can do it too. Here’s how.
To overcome bulimia or any eating disorder, tell someone you trust
Eating disorders thrive in secrecy and shame. That seems especially true of bulimia. So that means you need to speak the truth to someone you trust. Trust is absolutely key. You need to tell someone that you are suffering from bulimia and you need to ask for help. And both of those things are okay.
To overcome bulimia or any eating disorder, believe you are whole and unbroken
No matter what you’ve done to yourself or what’s been done to you, you are still whole and unbroken. You are not in need of fixing. The part of you that resides deep down, the part of you that makes you who you are, that part is shiny and new, not even a single scratch.
Start Where You Are Weight Loss® Trust Your Body
Learn to lose weight naturally.
To overcome bulimia or any eating disorder, break the cycle
Bulimia is a cycle that starts with a binge, usually to avoid or numb some emotional state. Then the purge comes because there’s a fear of gaining weight. Then there’s another emotional reaction, usually shame and guilt about the purge, which leads to another binge.
And on and on it goes in a cycle that never ends until you choose to end it.
So you’re going to have to choose to end it by doing something differently next time:
- That means sitting with what you’re feeling and not purging.
- That means exploring why you’re doing behaviors that harm yourself.
- That means asking for help to overcome bulimia or any eating disorder.
To overcome bulimia or any eating disorder, forgive yourself
- Take a long, slow deep breath in.
- Hold it for three seconds.
- Let it out slowly through your mouth with an audible sound.
- Pull your shoulders down away from your ears.
- Let yourself relax.
Then forgive yourself. Because you’re a human being and you made a mistake and that’s okay. Because all you can do now is learn from it and move on. Because you will do better next time. Because you deserve to take it easier on yourself.
To overcome bulimia or any eating disorder, save your own life
Nobody can save your life for you. You have to do that for yourself.
- You need to decide you matter enough to you that you’re not going to live this way anymore.
- You need to make an unbreakable commitment to have your own back no matter what.
- You need to honor that commitment to yourself.
- Then you need to live that out by getting whatever help you may need to overcome bulimia or any eating disorder.
So to sum it all up …
You don’t have to live with an eating disorder. You don’t have to live in shame, humiliation, guilt, fear, or anything else that bulimia or any eating disorder may make you feel. You just don’t.
You have choices.
- You can choose to stop abusing food by using bulimia or binge eating in an attempt to fix something in your life.
- You can choose to ask for help to overcome bulimia or any eating disorder.
- You can choose to trust yourself.
- You can and need to choose to save yourself.
Get off the diet-go-round. Get on with your life.®
Stop wishing, start doing.
Create your own weight loss before and after success story.
My weight loss transformation & how it can help you overcome bulimia or any eating disorder
You absolutely can break the diet cycle. I got free. Your life can be that way too.
I made my own path because I needed to get myself out of the crazy-making behavior I was having around food. I needed:
- no more dieting.
- no more restrictive eating.
- no weighing and measuring food.
- no off-limit foods.
- no more judgment around food.
- no more trying to figure out healthy eating or just what healthy foods to eat.
- no more judging my self-worth based on the scale.
- no more you’re-not-doing-it-perfectly diet rules that were only fueling my constant thinking about and obsession with food.
I needed to stop: searching for weight loss tips, wondering how to lose belly fat fast or how to lose weight fast, worrying about how to eat healthy or finding healthy snacks for weight loss, coming up with yet another healthy eating plan, trying to have quick weight loss, or forcing myself onto yet another weight loss diet. What I needed instead was to find, out of all the weight loss programs out there, the best weight loss program for me. Turns out, the best way to lose weight was to find out what works for me and do that.
- I’ve lost 160+ pounds naturally by simply trusting myself and listening to my intuition (mindful eating and eating intuitively).
- I have maintained that weight loss for 9 years and counting by trusting myself and listening to my intuition (mindful eating and intuitive eating).
- I no longer have any eating disorders, including bulimia (bulimia nervosa) and binge eating disorder (compulsive overeating).
- I no longer have a fear of food.
Just imagine what you could be doing with your life if you’d just commit to having your own before and after weight loss success story. You could be: following your own dreams and reaching your own goals, cultivating your own passions, and making both your inner and outer worlds a more blissful and peaceful place.
I got that for my life. I want it for yours. I will teach you how.
Start Where You Are Weight Loss Coaching
Start Where You Are
Weight Loss® Coaching
so you can eat what you want & lose weight.
Start Where You Are Weight Loss Books
Start Where You Are
Weight Loss® Books
A series of weight-loss books to help you
create a body & a life that you love.
Start Where You Are Weight Loss™ Online Course
Start Where You Are Weight Loss® Trust Your Body
Learn to lose weight naturally so you can create a body that feels comfortable to you.
Let today be the day you make peace with your body and with food.
For more information, check out the Start Where You Are Weight Loss® page.