Time for some slow-cooker Italian sausage and peppers!
Prep. time: 20 minutes. Cost: Less than $20. Serves: 6-7.
To make slow-cooker Italian sausage and peppers, you’ll need:
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds of Italian sausage (6-7 sausages)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 cups combined total of red peppers, green peppers, and onions, sliced long ways not diced. (I tend to use about a cup and a half of green peppers, a cup of red peppers, and half a cup of onions.)
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon of oregano leaves
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
To make slow-cooker Italian sausage and peppers, follow these directions:
- Brown the sausage in a frying pan just long enough so it’s browned on the outside (not cooked all the way through) then set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan then add the onions and peppers. Sauté until tender.
- Add all the spices except the bay leaf into the slow-cooker.
- Add diced tomatoes into the slow-cooker then stir.
- Add sautéd peppers and onions (including any bits of oil) into the slow-cooker then stir.
- Add in the bay leaf and push it down into the liquid mixture.
- Add in the sausages by setting them on top and pressing them down gently into liquid mixture.
- Cover & cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf when you’re ready to serve.
- Serve on your favorite hoagie roll (toasted or not, your choice) and with grapes or whatever side you prefer.
Please keep in mind that cooking times may vary so the first time you make slow-cooker Italian sausage and peppers, keep an eye on the slow-cooker. You may need to adjust the amount of cooking time.
For more delicious slow-cooker recipes, click here.